For a downloadable/printable version, click here.
John M. Swartz
Innovative, results-driven marketing communications leader who has consistently optimized messaging, managed communication within integrated mobile and social media channels, boosted brand awareness, and generated significant customer response. A strong record of success creating and implementing team-based strategies resulting in increased traffic and user interaction. Excels in staff management through motivational communication resulting in coordinated teamwork and superior results.
Technorati Media, San Francisco, CA | Dec. 2012 – current
Marketing Communications Manager
- Played key role in creating new company positioning and developing brand strategy for redesign of corporate website.
- Direct digital strategy with emphasis on lead generation and new business.
- Transition brand strategy into tactic-level social strategy, with a focus on product and content marketing, corporate recruitment, and user engagement.
- Lead in all public and press relations operations, from overseeing the creation of assets to distribution of releases around company business, new product rollouts, and all research and articles related to annual Digital Influence Report.
- Direct editorial strategy for three web properties; supervise two staffs responsible for carrying out editorial tactics.
- Primary for updates of company blog on corporate website.
- Oversee user-support operations for all consumer-facing products.
Swartzdesk Media & Consulting | July 2009 – current
- The Man FAQ | Founder / Editor in Chief (themanfaq.com)
- Owned editorial magazine focusing on men’s interests, with a focus on advice, reviews and interviews.
- Sonoma Stompers | Director of Digital Marketing, contract (stompersbaseball.com)
- Designed website, established full editorial calendar, directed all social media strategies.
- Marin Independent Journal | Marketing and Content, contract (marinij.com)
- Produced marketing materials for IJ Lobby Lounge, consulted on social strategies.
- Hansen Artworks | Web Designer, contract (hansenartworks.com)
- Designed ecommerce site and consulted on social media strategies.
- Beer Army, LLC | Website and Marketing Consultant
- Advisor on website redesign (ongoing) and content provider.
WCTI-TV / WCTI12.com, New Bern, NC | June 2010 – Nov. 2012
Interactive Content Manager / Online Editor
- Directed all aspects of online products – content management, graphics, advertisement design and placement, social media interaction and promotional contests. Strategize social media components across multiple channels that contribute 30 percent of online traffic.
- Managed nine reporters, six anchors and seven producers responsible for providing content for WCTI12.com. Facilitate training to incorporate new technologies.
- Enabled sales staff by creating content, packages and analytics reports as part of revenue initiative. Direct the inclusion of online components to on-air promotions and initiatives.
- Coordinated with Marketing Department to build brand awareness, created online assets to promote on-air talent and features.
- Participated in brand-specific market research, taking findings into the development of both online and on-air strategies.
- Participates in content committee responsible for overall editorial direction of all company websites.
- Oversaw the launch of a new site management system that increased traffic by more than 500 percent.
- Gained more than 10,000 Facebook fans over three days during 64 non-stop hours of emergency hurricane coverage.
- WCTI12.com was named the Best News Website for the second straight year in 2012 by The Associated Press (North Carolina, TV Division 2); it was an award first won in 2011 after an in-market competitor had held the honor for the previous three years.
- Created a company-wide link-share system that helped to increase traffic across websites in all five of Bonten Media Group’s markets.
- Company leader in national-site links (including CNN.com) that created more than 1 million referrals in 2011.
Bay Area News Group | February 2009 – June 2010
Marin Independent Journal, Novato, Calif. / Times-Herald, Vallejo, Calif.
- Provided local content and page design for both news and sports for two newspapers in the region.
- Served as state, national and international news copy editor and page designer.
- Produced video features to accompany print content online.
- Updated and maintained off-site blog sections.
- Maintained all statistical data for local sports leagues.
- Coordinated weekly special sections.
The Daily Reflector, Greenville, N.C. | August 2007 – February 2009
Staff Writer / New Media Producer
- Provided local content, designed pages and managed content for several sections of the website.
- Directed and hosted online-only weekly sports special.
- Shot and edited video highlights and features.
- Managed upkeep of local league statistical data.
New Bern Sun Journal, New Bern, N.C. | November 2006 – August 2007
- Provided content and produced video for local sections.
- Acted as primary page designer for inside sections.
- Responsible for nightly web updates.
- Enabled content share for other regional papers.
Washington Daily News, Washington, N.C. | November 2002 – November 2006
Staff Writer / Photographer
- Provided content and photographs of local events.
- Created page design elements to highlight season-based features.
- Authored locally-produced content for national events, such as NFL, MLB, NBA and NCAA sports.
- Acted as facility/IT engineer to direct two departmental relocations.
East Carolina University, Greenville, N.C. | August 2000 – May 2002
- Produced and maintained pages within Sports & Recreation sections.
- Converted university documents into HTML.
- Maintained front-page design.
- Ensured site consistency within ECU guidelines.
East Carolina University, Greenville, N.C.
- B.S. in communication with focus on media studies / minor in English
- Other areas of study include philosophy and sociology.
Poynter Institute, St. Petersburg, Fla.
- Advanced Multimedia Reporting with Video