For a downloadable/printable version, click here.
John M. Swartz
Digital strategy and marketing leader with a track record of developing positioning, optimizing messaging, boosting brand awareness, and generating significant customer response. Excels in staff management through motivational communication resulting in coordinated teamwork and superior results.
iPrint Technologies, Marin County, CA
Director of Marketing | July. 2015 – current
Responsible for driving the development of marketing strategies, initiatives and priorities for an industry-leading provider of printer hardware, supplies and solutions to corporations and organizations throughout the United States.
- Creating new marketing strategies to maximize the efforts of a nationwide sales force.
Technorati, San Francisco, CA
Marketing Communications Manager | Dec. 2012 – July 2015
Directed website and social media strategies for Technorati, a programmatic advertising platform targeted at high-level publishing firms. Responsible for using digital channels for lead generation, developing new business, thought leadership and driving product awareness. Owned press and public relations, as well as community management and support.
- Played key role in creating new company positioning and developing brand strategy for website redesign.
- Optimized editorial/corporate content creation platform that established new standards as well as generated significant savings in operational costs.
- Secured executive bylines in premium industry trade magazines.
- Oversaw the creation and release of major research project, culled from surveys that included over 6,000 influencers, 1,200 consumers and 150 top brand marketers. Secured widespread media coverage of research findings.
- Directed editorial strategy for three web properties, and supervised two staffs responsible for carrying out editorial tactics.
Principal | July 2009 – current
Worked with sole proprietors, entrepreneurs as well as established media brands on special projects, online strategies and social campaigns.
- Designed website, established full editorial calendar, directed all social media strategies for the Sonoma Stompers Baseball Club, an independent professional baseball team.
- Worked with editorial staff of the Marin Independent Journal to produce marketing materials and establish social media strategies for Lobby Lounge project.
- Advised on website redesign and content strategy for Beer Army Brewery.
- Designed website for The Boob Fairy, a well-mother lactation consultancy.
Bonten Media Group, New Bern, NC
Interactive Content Manager / Online Editor | June 2010 – Nov. 2012
Directed all aspects of online products – content management, graphics, advertisement design and placement, social media strategy and promotional contests – for Bonten Media’s ABC affiliated news station in a Top 100 market. Led cross-functional team, including members from the marketing and sales departments, to increase product awareness and drive revenue growth. Sat on content committee responsible for overall editorial direction of all company websites.
- Oversaw the launch of a new site management system that increased traffic by more than 500 percent.
- WCTI12.com was twice named the Best News Website by The Associated Press (North Carolina, TV Division 2).
- Created a company-wide link-share system that helped to increase traffic across websites in all five of Bonten Media Group’s markets.
- Company leader in national-site links (including CNN.com) that created more than 1 million referrals in 2011.
- Drove social media components across multiple channels that contribute 30 percent of online traffic.
- Gained more than 10,000 Facebook fans over three days during 64 non-stop hours of emergency hurricane coverage.
Bay Area News Group, Novato, CA
Staff Writer | Feb. 2009 – June 2010
Provided local content and page design for both news and sports for two newspapers in the region, the Marin Independent Journal and the Vallejo Times-Herald. Served as state, national and international news copy editor and page designer.
- Increased multimedia usage for local news packages, including slideshows, audio and video.
- Maintained all statistical data for local sports leagues.
The Daily Reflector, Greenville, NC
Staff Writer / New Media Producer | Aug. 2007 – Feb. 2009
Provided local content, designed pages and managed content for several sections of the website.
- Created, directed and hosted online-only weekly sports special that rated among the highest-trafficked web features.
New Bern Sun Journal, New Bern, NC
Staff Writer | Nov. 2006 – Aug. 2007
Provided content and produced video for local sections. Acted as primary page designer for inside sections.
- Enabled content share for other regional papers.
Washington Daily News, Washington, NC
Staff Writer / Photographer | Nov. 2002 – Nov. 2006
Provided content and photographs of local events. Authored locally-produced content for national events, such as NFL, MLB, NBA and NCAA sports.
- Created page design elements to highlight season-based features.
- Acted as facility/IT engineer to direct two departmental relocations.
East Carolina University, Greenville, NC
Web Producer | Aug. 2000 – May 2002
Worked with campus marketing department to operation Sports & Recreation website.
- Created the first-ever digital resource for campus Intramural Department, including league rules, signup forms and game results.
East Carolina University, Greenville, NC
- B.S. in communication with focus on media studies / minor in English
- Other areas of study include philosophy and sociology.
Poynter Institute, St. Petersburg, FL
- Advanced Multimedia Reporting with Video